Apply For Housing

If you’re a hard-working individual on a moderate or low income, then AWH can help you into a quality home at a rental you can afford.


In accordance with the terms of the trust of AWH, the trustees are to provide accommodation at a reasonable rental to working persons and their dependants, or to retired working persons and their dependants. The working persons/retirees must also be in financial need.

This means that accommodation can only be provided to you if you are gainfully employed (or have retired from gainful employment) and you have a low to moderate income.

In practical terms this generally means we will accept applications from individuals who have a yearly income under $52,795 or families with a yearly income under $90,507 (with one child). These thresholds are subject to the board’s discretion and are not the only condition of eligibility. We will also consider the circumstances of all adult occupants including their job type, income derived from that job, education including trade or professional qualifications and assets held.

People who are applying to rent a property which falls under the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) are also required to meet the NRAS tenant eligibility requirements.

Types of Property and Housing We Offer

AWH own and manage more than 300 properties in metropolitan Adelaide. 104 of these properties operate under the National Rental Affordability Scheme. Rent for properties under this scheme are discounted up to 20% from the market value for the area. However, AWH NRAS properties are rented at a discount which is at least 25% of market value.

  • Apartments in Richmond
  • Townhouses in Richmond
  • Apartments in Richmond
  • Houses in Richmond
  • Units in Mile End

Submit an Application

Currently all AWH homes are occupied. However, we are constantly building more capacity. We encourage you to apply and join our waiting list.

Please note that we only hold applications for three months. If you are still looking for accommodation after these three months you will need to submit a new application.

View our Vacant Properties

When properties are available they are listed on

FAQ For Applicants

Am I allowed pets at the property?

All pets are to be approved by your Property Manager prior to being kept at the property.

What fees and costs will I need to cover?



A bond amount of up to six weeks rent is collected at the start of the tenancy and held in trust with Consumer and Business services Residential Tenancies. In the event that you fall into rental arrears, are responsible for damage to the property, or leave the property in a dirty or unkept condition, your Property Manager can make a claim against the bond. At the end of your lease, if the property has only sustained reasonable wear and tear, the full bond amount will be returned to you.

Rent in advance

You will be required to pay up to two weeks of your rent in advance, upon the start of your tenancy.

Paying the Rent

It is your legal responsibility to pay your rent in advance. Please ensure that your payments reach us on or before the due date. Rent must be paid by the method stated in your tenancy agreement.

If you have any problems with your rent payments please notify your Property Manager at the earliest possible time. If you fall into arrears, we will be obligated to follow the procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 to collect the rent on behalf of the landlord.

How long are the leases?

Adelaide Workers’ Homes offer Periodic leases to its approved applicants. If you wish to vacate the property on a nonfixed term (periodical) lease, you are required to give a full 21 days notice in writing.

Why are routine inspections carried out?

Your Property Manager will carry out periodic routine inspections of property to ensure it is being well cared for and to ensure any maintenance issues identified can be attended to. You will be notified by your property manager of the upcoming inspection by post or email 7 – 14 days prior to the inspection date.

How do I arrange any repairs that might be needed?

You need to advise the Property Manager of all requests for maintenance or repairs, preferably via an email or by using the Property Me app.

It is essential that you do not attempt to repair things yourself – you have a responsibility to advise the Property Manager of maintenance matters that require attention. Your lease will include provisions for how you should handle repairs or maintenance requests.

What should I do if urgent or emergency repairs are needed at the property?

Generally, emergency repairs are required when the occupants’ health and safety – or the property itself – is threatened. You should contact your Property Manager to arrange a contractor.